the Healthy Futures dating violence prevention program, uses content from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Choose Respect initiative
. Choose Respect is designed to help students form healthy relationships and prevent dating abuse before it starts. Healthy Futures implements Choose Respect over two class sessions.
- Introduction to Healthy Futures, general overview of Choose Respect, and ground rules.
- Class discussion about choosing respect in relationships, characteristics of healthy and unhealthy
relationships, and adverse outcomes associated with dating abuse (e.g., low self-esteem, alcohol and/or other substance use, etc.).
- Watch video – Causing Pain: Real Stories of Dating Abuse and Violence.
- Assign small groups and review activity instructions as a class.
- Small group discussion about healthy and unhealthy relationships and dating abuse.
- Class review of Session 1 topics and Causing Pain video.
- Student presentations of small group work.
- Distribute community resources for dating violence and domestic abuse.